General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: 2015/03/27 Jean Lake crash

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=32673
This is terrible
skyelevator - 2015/03/29 17:44:16 UTC
Pacific Northwest

I am just kinda processing this as a lot of us are.
And some of us are really hoping this doesn't get processed.
I was telling someone very recently about Kelly and I throwing shakas at each other as we passed close flying along the Big Island coast. We both bought mosquitos to get some airtime over there and he helped me get trained to fly mine by standing start towing on dry lake beds in CA and NV. Absolutely superb human being.
Alan Paylor - 2015/03/30 00:23:26 UTC
Moore, Idaho

King Mountain Homage

Flew King Mountain today.. Paid homage. Gave thanks. Top landed at lower. Third flight this year. No xc. 9hrs+ total airtime. Cold. Over 14k many times..........2015

Paid homage. Let me here yours.

Alan
Fly safe, go far
Thank you for your service and sacrifice. If only we had had more pilots with your selfless dedication to safety we could put tragedies like this one behind us for all time. You've inspired me to go to the fridge and grab another beer. I'd like to take a flight but all the ride factories in this neck of the woods are too concerned about the safety of their people of varying ages.
Davis Straub - 2015/03/30 13:04:37 UTC
Harold Wickham - 2015/03/29 04:44:48 UTC

The accident is being thoroughly investigated...
By whom?
Tad Eareckson - 2015/03/29 16:19:50 UTC
Harold Wickham - 2015/03/29 04:44:48 UTC

The accident is being thoroughly investigated...
By whom?
Dedicated individuals so painstakingly meticulous that...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25656
The young girl who died hang gliding solo
Jim Rooney - 2012/03/06 18:34:14 UTC

ND's onto it.

No one ever wants to wait for the accident investigation... they want to know "NOW DAMNIT!" and there's always a lot of self-serving arguments surrounding it.

And it's always the same.
The same damn arguments get drug up every time. And they're all just as pointless every time.

We have a system in place.
It works.
Let it work.

Our procedures are well established at this point in time and there are no gaping hidden holes that need to be addressed immediately.

RR asked what the status was.
ND's provided the answer (thank you).

Please take a deep breath. And wait.
Accident investigations involving fatalities take a long time. And by long, I mean they can take years.
(yes, years, I'm not kidding)

The sky is not falling.
...only the youngest of those of us involved in this discussion are likely to survive long enough to hear the findings.
Dave Pendzick - 2015/03/30 15:49:45 UTC
Brad Barkley - 2015/03/29 03:14:17 UTC

I had the same thought, as I have done much of my flying truck towing at Blue Sky. If you are on tow and the truck turns and stops, it seems like it would be a nonissue. But after reading the thread elsewhere on this site, it sounds like it was a simulator on the back of the truck, not an actual truck towing flight. What a tragedy. Thoughts and prayers for all involved.
Can you please elaborate on this?
What? Brad having thoughts and praying?
Perhaps submit a photo or drawing of the said apparatus?
Great job doing your homework and having a fuckin' clue what’s going on.
Steve Morris - 2015/03/30 16:43:18 UTC

This news story gives a different take on the events:

http://www.jrn.com/ktnv/news/Family-of-young-hang-gliding-victim-speaks-out-to-Action-News-297947771.html
Family of young hang gliding victim speaks out to Action News - http://www.ktnv.com
http://www.jrn.com/ktnv/news/Family-of-young-hang-gliding-victim-speaks-out-to-Action-News-297947771.html
Family of young hang gliding victim speaks out to Action News - http://www.ktnv.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhCW-Nm6nxw
Elizabeth Gadley. CREATED 2015/03/29
Created? Looks like we're making progress on getting a good story out.
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- The family of the 11-year-old boy killed in a hang gliding accident on Friday spoke out to Action News.
It happened in the Jean Dry Lake Bed east of State Route 604, near Sloan.
Then why don't they call it the Sloan Dry Lake Bed?
The boy's family is already back home in New Mexico...
...still giddy from their introductory hang gliding student experience...
...so they shared their story with Action News via Skype on Sunday.
Family members said, in a lot of ways, this is all still very surreal but they say sharing and talking about 11-year-old Arys helps.
They said he was a sweet and adventurous boy...
Good...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7597/16975005972_c450d2cdda_o.png

...match.
...with a smile that could light up a room.
Family members said they come to Las Vegas every year while visiting grandparents in Pahrump and they always try to do something new and different.
Sorry. I'm not a fan of hang gliding for people who wanna do something new and different. This is a form of aviation for individuals who started dreaming about flying like a bird at around age two.
The family was on Fremont Street the night before the accident and his brothers went zip-lining but Arys wasn't old enough.
Reminds me of working at the Kitty Hawk Kites ride factory. "OK, we've done hang gliding. Now on to the water slide!"
So when it came time to hang glide, Arys was eager to go first, so they let him.
Family members said everything was going smoothly until they noticed there was too much slack on the tether connecting the glider to the truck.
- Yes the "tether" "connecting" the glider to the truck. You can tell these hang gliding "students" were really well prepared for their instructional flights in the ground school session.

- So what's the proper amount of slack one should have on the tether connecting the glider to the truck? How much slack should one have to optimize the climb rate?
They said the driver sped up to fix the problem...
And here I was thinking that all hang glider towing problems are fixed by the driver giving the glider the rope.
...and that's when things went wrong.
Things went wrong when the FAA granted hang gliding a tandem exemption for "instructional" flights.
"As the driver increased in speed, it yanked the glider and the glider plummeted to the ground headfirst and me, my brother, my mother and my grandmother watched it as it plummeted to the ground and we raced to the crash site," said the victim's brother.
- Sorry victim's - I mean STUDENT's - brother... When you yank a level glider it doesn't plummet to the ground headfirst. It does the precise opposite. Just ask Zack Marzec.

- And here I was thinking that:

http://www.mynews3.com/mostpopular/story/nhp-sloan-road-fatal-two-killed/1YlS8qOzDkWWjKZNpvS-5g.cspx
Two dead in hang gliding accident in Jean - News3LV
The pair of hang gliders were in the air when the truck pulling the glider turned around abruptly, police said. The driver of the truck thought the tether had been released, as is usually done by the person in the glider.
Family members tried CPR but Arys died a short time later, as did the hang gliding instructor.
According to the coroner, both Arys Moorhead and his instructor, John Kelly Harrison, died from blunt force injuries.
I hate when that happens when you're instructing.
Corbin Moorhead - 2015/03/29
victim's brother

Me, my mother, my brother, and my grandma watched it as it plummeted to the ground and we raced to the crash site.

The fire truck put the AED (Automated External Defibrillator) on him and that's where he... they declared Arys dead.
- End of any debate about whether this was a simulator run or platform tow. Bit of a stretch to suggest that the family watched the glider plummet to the ground from simulator position.

- No mention of the glider turning. Four family members undoubtedly paying close attention to Arys' first training flight. Seems to rule out a lockout.

- No report of the winch locking up or having any other problems.

- So how do we go from a slack towline to a glider plummeting in to a catastrophic nose first impact?
Michelle Schneider - 2015/03/29
victim's mom

And I believe that the skydiving instructor...
Well, they WERE skydiving but I don't believe Kelly was a skydiving instructor. And if he was I don't think he was a very good one because it's always been my understanding that at some point in the exercise prior to reaching the surface there's a parachute that's supposed to come out.
...did everything he possibly could to make it comfortable for Arys in his last moments. I believe that in my heart.
So what do you believe in your head? I'm pretty sure that comfort wasn't a big issue in this one from the point that the glider started going down.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Hey Elizabeth...

How come you cut out the part of the interview in which the Schneider-Moorhead family requested that we in the skydiving instructor community not add to their pain and grief by speculating about why the hand glider's tether yanked it into a nosedive and to wait patiently for the results of the thorough investigation someone's conducting? You filthy heartless bitch.
Michelle Schneider - 2015/03/29

And I believe that the skydiving instructor did everything he possibly could to make it comfortable for Arys in his last moments. I believe that in my heart.
Well yeah, but that's just speculation which is adding to your and the skydiving instructor's family's pain and grief. It's disgusting and you need to stop.

Note that...

- None of the only four eyewitnesses to have so far gone on the record - at least three of whom were skydiving students slated to be going up within the next half hour - have said anything about the failure of the glider to have been released from the tether as a relevant factor.

- The driver was well aware of what was going on with the glider behind him - as he responded to the situation with the tether having too much slack by accelerating. That should go a long ways to nix all this bullshit hue and cry we're hearing for mandatory machete happy observers poised to make good decisions in the interest of the skydiving instructors' safety.

- In the various sets of facts we've had reported from this incident the only relevant issues that have been cited have been mistakes made, actions taken or omitted by the driver. And he has yet to emerge...

KSNV-8-21819-1

...to clarify anything for the benefit of the general public or skydiving instructor community and restore his good name - whatever the fuck that is. And rest assured that every motherfucker in the Vegas skydiving instructor community and his dog knows exactly who the driver was and have built a wall of silence around him for his protection.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.mynews3.com/mostpopular/story/Boy-killed-in-hang-glider-crash-volunteered-to-go/KUx_KfzD5U2qyDmi8MG9tw.cspx
Boy killed in hang glider crash volunteered to go first - News3LV

2015/03/30 00:37 UTC - Published
2015/03/30 17:38 UTC - Updated
Nathan O'Neal
noneal@mynews3.com

LAS VEGAS (KSNV My News 3) -- The 11-year-old New Mexico boy killed in a hang glider accident Friday afternoon was eager to take to the skies.

In a Skype interview Sunday from their home in Farmington, N.M., family members said Arys Moorhead volunteered to go first at the dry lake bed south of Jean.

Flying in tandem with instructor John "Kelly" Harrison, Arys was being pulled behind a modified pickup truck.

The brief moments of trying to catch flight turned horribly bad in just seconds. "The truck took a turn ... the turn caused a little bit of slack in the line ... and when the slack came out of the line it yanked the glider and caused the glider to stall and nose dive into the ground," Corbin Moorhead said.

Harrison died at the scene shortly after impact. Arys was transported toward Las Vegas in a desperate attempt to get medical help, but he died from his injuries about 8 miles north of the crash site, at least 20 minutes from the nearest hospital.

The family doesn't want to think about the "what ifs."

Metro investigators are trying to determine what caused the crash. The Federal Aviation Administration also has been notified.
Now we have something that's making sense.
Dope on a rope / Release within easy reach.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=32673
This is terrible
Jim Gaar - 2015/03/30 16:58:35 UTC

Sure sounds like a lock out down low...
Did you read or hear something 'bout a turn, Rodie? If so, any chance you could share it with the rest of us non tug pilot muppets?
Dave Pendzick - 2015/03/30 17:42:41 UTC

This is not going to end well for us...
Good. Us don't deserve to have end well for us.
Alex33 - 2015/03/30 17:57:20 UTC
France

you think it is on the simulator or a flight with a payout winch ?
Why are you asking what those assholes "THINK". Do your homework.
Jim Gaar - 2015/03/30 18:24:49 UTC

All the accident pictures show the simulator (with the square steel control box) but the description I read from an article interviewing the family of the 11 year old seems to indicate they were on a "tether".

Nothing is very clear for now.
SOMETHING's very clear. None of the local motherfuckers will even so much as confirm that this was a platform tow and not a simulator run - or even so much as tell us anything that DIDN'T happen. That fact alone screams volumes.
Jonathan Boarini - 2015/03/30 19:49:41 UTC

I was told that his simulator is always on the truck as well.
The fuckin' frame which limits the position of the glider in the simulator setup is.
I thought the same as you but the presence of that square does not necessarily mean the simulator was used.
Doesn't mean...

15-02619
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8731/16991517625_394458c959_o.png
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8755/16371420963_2fb0bb7c9b_o.png
23-03400

...shit. 'Bout as relevant to the discussion as the color of the goddam hook knife handle.
I understand he was platform towing, but you're right, there's been very little useful information.
Thank you so very much, fellow Vegas skydiving instructors.
What I want to know is, who was driving the truck??? I think that the answer lies somewhere in the answer to that question.
I've got a funny feeling that lotsa people will know who was driving the truck before this thing is over.
Terry Strahl - 2015/03/30 19:56:02 UTC

Rest in peace young man.
I'm sure he's taking his much needed rest as we speak.
What is really amazing is the families resolve, Re: The news clip posted by Steve.

Notice any other really amazing issues regarding that piece?
The family said several times they do not think it was the pilots fault and placed no blame on him.
They don't think it was ANYBODY's fault. They think that sometimes shit just happens in skydiving and there's really nothing anybody can do about anything.
Lets all save the speculation for a different thread.
How ya like the speculation in this one?
RIP Arys and Kelly
Don't worry - they're fine.
zamuro - 2015/03/30 21:30:08 UTC

Which different thread?
The one currently running over at http://www.jim-keen-intellect-rooney.com. They're speculating that Kelly was using a funky shit release and a Tad-O-Link.
It is a terrible tragedy and like most I feel very sorry for the families involved but like with any accident we also want to know what went wrong to avoid future accidents.
Fuck that. They didn't invent a new way to crash a glider that there's something to learn from and you totally useless motherfuckers have never done anything but piss all over obvious and easy fixes handed to you before and after all previous catastrophes.
If somebody in this forum...
Why does it hafta be from THAT thoroughly intellectually castrated forum?
...has any info related to what may have caused the accident...
The WHAT?
...IMHO there is not reason not to share it here.
Sharing anything useful in that shit heap is a good way to get banned.
Rolla Manning - 2015/03/30 21:33:12 UTC
Las Vegas

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=32681
Tandem crash in LV (speculation thread)
Fuck that. Speculation threads belong in The Basement - not Incident Reports.
Aldpal - 2015/03/30 22:13:05 UTC

Too Early?

This incident happened on Friday, three days ago, and there are already 28 posts here and more on a second thread here, mostly speculating on what happened, or what could have been done different, despite there not being a lot facts available.
BECAUSE these ass covering motherfuckers are sitting on the facts like their lives depended on it - which they probably do.
That is the nature of a forum like this where most of us come to learn and or hopefully help teach a thing or two that will make us all safer.
People go to a forum like that to jerk each other off while making sure that nobody ever learns anything.
Kelley was a well respected and loved pilot...
Not so well respected and loved that you can spell his name right.
...known in SoCal, Nevada, Hawaii, and beyond...
WAY beyond now.
...but for those of us that knew him this is not an isloated case study. I welcome hearing any additional facts, because I want to know how this could have happened to such a talented and safety minded pilot and friend...
If he were REALLY a talented and safety minded friend he'd have equipped himself with a release that cost more than two percent of what his parachute did - even if he was a skydiving instructor.
...but speculating on things before the facts are available...
The facts are available. It's just that the local cult members are making sure nothing's made available to anyone who matters.
...is not productive...
Not nearly as productive as not speculating and jerking each other off.
...and I am sure not appreciated by others who knew him.
Tough fucking shit. This guy just killed an eleven year old kid - along with himself. If I were one of the others who'd known him I wouldn't be beating my chest with pride right now.
Please give this a little time for the facts to come out...
Fuck that. An hour would've been plenty of time for the facts to come out if that's what the guilty parties had wanted to happen. The longer it takes for insiders to get the facts out the more certain we can be that they're not facts.
...and then if his loss has lessons that may help the safety of others, than by all means let's discuss them and learn from them.

RIP my friend, and condolences to the boy and his family
Go fuck yourself.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Terry Strahl - 2015/03/30 20:01:31 UTC
The witnessing family member said " the truck speed up to take the slack out of the town line" Yanking the glider too the ground.
Yeah Terry. That's what he said and that's just how he wrote it. Great job starting off this thread and setting the tone for careful analysis of available information a likely scenarios.
Weak link ?
May not have met their expectation of breaking as early as possible in lockout situations but being strong and reliable enough to avoid frequent breaks from turbulence?
or the tow line rapped around something ?

Any way we look at it tragic
Any way we look at this your ass was socially promoted from about third grade on.
Dave Pendzick - 2015/03/30 20:33:35 UTC

Something apeared overstressed. The picture of the wreckage showed the wings were folded in such a manor that would indicate structural failure from positive G load, which in that instance, would expain the glider coming down in a nose down attitude.
Yeah, no fuckin' way could that structural failure have resulted from contact with the surface.

KSNV-CNN-1-1916
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5788/23461251751_e98b9c7500_o.png

I think you're onto sumpin' key here. Probably using one of those Tad-O-Links like the one that nearly killed Paul Tjaden and Russell Brown 'cause he didn't wanna be inconvenienced.

Asshole.
gluesniffer - 2015/03/30 22:16:25 UTC
Obviously Obama Image
Wish he'd take his fake birth certificate to get a passport and go back to Africa.
Mark G. Forbes - 2015/03/30 23:29:59 UTC

Please, no speculation
Big surprise.
Hi folks,
Which...

http://www.hanggliding.org/wiki/HG_ORG_Mission_Statement
HangGliding.Org Rules and Policies
No posts or links about Bob K, Scott C Wise, Tad Eareckson and related people, or their material. ALL SUCH POSTS WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DELETED. These people are poison to this sport and are permanently banned from this site in every possible way imaginable.
...folks, Mark. Not all glider people are allowed to discuss things over there.
I understand the interest in learning the cause of this...
How could you POSSIBLY understand the interest in learning the cause of this? You've never had any first hand experience with being interested in learning the cause of anything.
...but could we please not speculate on the forum?
I'm totally cool with that. I'm gonna be over here on this other forum speculating my ass off.
We have a very experienced tow administrator (Mitch Shipley)...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27396
Scooter tow faillure... or Never Land On Your Face
Mitch Shipley - 2012/10/22 19:04:16 UTC

We engage in a sport that has risk and that is part of the attraction.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7597/16975005972_c450d2cdda_o.png
...headed to Las Vegas to do an accident investigation...
Cover-up.
...and when we learn what really happened we'll...
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25321
Stop the Stupids at the USHPA BOD meeting
Mark G. Forbes - 2011/09/30 23:21:56 UTC

Here's how it really works:

- Member submits an accident report. Could be the pilot who had the accident, or some other witness.

- Accident report is sent to Tim to maintain legal privilege. Tim reviews the report and determines whether there's significant legal risk associated with it. He may redact certain parts (personally identifiable information, etc.) if in his opinion exposure of that information poses a risk to us. If the report is very risky, he may decide that it can't be shared further, and will notify the ED about it. He may also notify our insurers if he sees a potential for a claim, as is normal practice for any incident where we are aware of such a potential.

- Redacted report goes to the accident review chairs, for incorporation into periodic articles in the magazine. Articles focus on root causes of accidents, not on personal narratives or details.

The whole procedure is outlined in SOP 03-16, which you can read by logging into the USHPA website and clicking on "Policy Manual".
...convey that information to our members.
Suck my dick, Mark.
He'll be working with two of the local...
...skydiving...
...instructors there to get to the truth.
And then how long will he be working with two of the local skydiving instructors to...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=16439
Some day we will learn
Steve Morris - 2010/03/31 23:58:54 UTC

In 2009 there were several serious hang gliding accidents involving pilots on the HG forum (or who had close friends on the forum that reported that these accidents had occurred). In each case there was an immediate outcry from forum members not to discuss these accidents, usually referring to the feelings of the pilots' families as a reason to not do so. In each case it was claimed that the facts would eventually come out and a detailed report would be presented and waiting for this to happen would result in a better informed pilot population and reduce the amount of possibly harmful speculation.

In each of these cases I have never seen a final detailed accident report presented in this forum. So far as I can tell, the accident reporting system that has been assumed to exist here doesn't exist at all, the only reports I've seen are those published in the USHPA magazine. They are so stripped down, devoid of contextual information and important facts that in many cases I have not been able to match the magazine accident report with those mentioned in this forum.

The end result has been that effective accident reporting is no longer taking place in the USHPA magazine or in this forum. Am I the only one who feels this way?
...make it totally unrecognizable?
Meanwhile, please refrain from offering speculation or opinion on what might have happened, what might have been theoretically done to prevent it and so on.
Yeah, we certainly wouldn't wanna come up with any ideas that could keep another skydiving instructor and eleven year old student from getting killed in the meantime.
Emotions are raw, people are hurting...
...scared shitless, getting their stories straight, digging in for the siege...
...and uninformed speculation doesn't help anybody.
And INFORMED speculation is fifty times worse so make sure you don't inform anything about anything.
News reports are of little use since they're written by people who have no idea how our sport works or what is typical.
Well fuck, if that's all the problem is I'd be more than happy to work with a few them so's they can have a really great idea how our sport works and what's typical.
Thanks for your understanding and patience.
Sure Mark. Don't mention it.
Davis Straub - 2015/03/30 23:49:31 UTC

Why do I not feel reassured by Mark's request for patience?
I dunno. He's doing a pretty good job of fucking Bob over. Give him the benefit of the doubt.
Because I have only a small amount of trust that the USHPA will release the results of Mitch's investigation in a timely fashion (say within a month).
I frankly don't think Mitch is up to handling this all by himself. When you're dealing with a catastrophe of this magnitude...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22660
What can be learned from this "scooter" towing accident?
Mitch Shipley - 2011/01/31 15:22:59 UTC

Enjoy your posts, as always, and find your comments solid, based on hundreds of hours / tows of experience and backed up by a keen intellect/knowledge of the issues when it comes to most things in general and hang gliding AT/Towing in particular. Wanted to go on record in case anyone reading wanted to know one persons comments they should give weight to.
...why not have the Best of the Best leading the team?
If past experience is any guide, it may turn out that the results of the investigation are never released.
Kinda like the glider at the heart of this one...

http://ozreport.com/pub/images/fingerlakesaccident2.jpg
http://ozreport.com/pub/images/fingerlakesaccident3.jpg

Huh Davis?
Lawsuits and all.
:)
I would love to be shown that I am mistaken (something that happens quite frequently).
Yeah, like when hell freezes over.

Hey Mark... You're not gonna be able to get away with another invisible dust devil on this one...

57-10513
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8752/16990152802_78e41f08c5_o.png

Better start thinking about wind shear or sumpin'.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Terry Strahl - 2015/03/31 00:01:35 UTC

Ok, then vote to bury.
Yeah, move it to The Basement - which is where I told ya to put it in the first place.
Then when you are done with that lets stop every other member of this forum from posting anything related to an accident period with out all the facts.
Or...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14312
Tow Park accidents
Jack Axaopoulos - 2009/11/12 14:49:58 UTC

One of the stated goals of this site is to promote HG. MOST views on this site are NOT from members but from visitors, they have no ignore button.

Having Tad run around every day giving the impression that there is a massive weekly slaughter of pilots at tow parks due to their horribly dangerous devices surely doesnt promote HG. Especially when the safety records are quite excellent.

Like Jim said, theyve gone a decade with no fatalities at their tow park. Pretty damn good I say.

Yet listening to Tad, you would think guys were dying all over the place
He's been nothing but misleading and negative and ignored multiple warnings from me. So He's GONE
...just any discussion of accidents since one of the stated goals of that site is to promote skydiving.
Never mind the chance to open dialog about safety and betters ways to address them.
Fuck that. You can't have an open dialog about safety and better ways to address accidents without all the u$hPa Facts available to you.
Some examples of recent. 140 people were killed in a airliner.
Oh. Ten of them were pronounced dead somewhat prematurely?
No facts and hours after the airbus went down thousands of views and 3 pages of dialog.

How about Hang53 when he got hurt on tow and almost lost his life. Did any one step in and stop the conversation ? 21 pages
Might have been a shorter conversation if the motherfucker had posted the video like he said he would after people had sent him enough money.
Rotor, when he splashed down at Dunlap. How many pages, was anything learned about depth perception and standing still clear water ?
And...

05-4321c
06-4503c
07-4625c
08-4923c
09-5001c
10-5024c
11-5125c

...the even more serious depth perception issues related to the standing still trees, bushes, and fields surrounding the pond. Poor guy just had no idea how low he was. Coulda happened to any one of us. There, but for the grace of God...
The tandem instructor/ pilot who failed to hook in his passenger...
Motherfucker's problem was that he failed to ever once in his entire useless existence perform a hook-in check. But he had a great and very long track record while it lasted.
...and then tried to eat the SD card from the camera.
Nah, that was something he succeeded at. And that's the ONLY reason that Kelly/Arys is a somewhat distant second in world hang gliding catastrophes - even though this one killed twice as many people.
I give up ...
Come over here then. Jack and Davis aren't the only glider forums on the planet - much as they'd have you believe otherwise.
Yes, please bury this topic. Image

How many lessons learned or follow up official reports have you seen on this site?
Not many since michael170 was banned for enough already.
No wonder a lot of pilots have given up on posting.
Or been forced to.
Yes they all still lurk ..
Ya think?
Please Vote to bury away ... nothing to see here folks. places head back in sand Image
Up asses.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Paul Hurless - 2015/03/31 00:12:10 UTC

Discussing the facts of an incident is very useful for many reasons. Speculating without the facts is useless and possibly even detrimental.
I'll take my chances, douchebag. If my speculation without the facts gets one of you assholes killed I'll just hafta figure out some way to live with myself.

P.S. The fact that we don't have any facts tells us quite a bit of what we need to know.
2015/03/31 01:43:36 UTC - 3 thumbs up - NMERider
2015/03/31 17:29:09 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Jason Boehm
Brian Scharp - 2015/03/31 00:22:27 UTC
Davis Straub - 2015/03/30 23:49:31 UTC

Why do I not feel reassured by Mark's request for patience...
This might help explain your feelings.

Mark G. Forbes - 2011/09/30 23:21:56 UTC

Here's how it really works...
Don't you just love it the way disingenuous motherfuckers have almost always said stuff before?
Davis Straub - 2015/03/31 00:36:49 UTC

Timely accident report here (pilot's name not mentioned):

http://ozreport.com/19.63#5
Get your legs under you
Well thanks Davis! If only Kelly and Arys had known that they should've gotten their legs under them when they landed they'd have almost certainly been OK! Ditto for Zack Marzec. We learn and move on.

Asshole.
zamuro - 2015/03/31 01:59:00 UTC

Maybe is only me but I feel that I can do a reasonable job at forming my own opinion about what happened based on available facts and the overall discussion. This includes filtering out whacky ideas...
On The Jack Show? Good freakin' luck.
...but I don't mind seeing them if the alternative is not getting any fact or hypothesis at all.
As per u$hPa SOPs.
It seems that facts need not to be public for legal* or other reasons so it always going to be speculation based on the few facts available. Even the ones doing the investigation may have an incomplete list of facts so the best they could do is to give a best (speculation) case scenario.
Fuck you, dude. Either do Official u$hPa Facts or shut the hell up. What do you think you're paying dues for?

http://www.ushpa.aero/safety.asp
USHPA - Safety Articles
Fatality Reports
2013/02/02 - Zack Marzec

Zack Marzec (27), an H-4 Pilot with Aero Tow and Tandem Aero Tow proficiency as well as Advanced Instructor and Tandem Instructor appointments, and a USHPA member since 2009, suffered fatal injuries when when his glider tumbled during an aero tow launch. During the launch, at an altitude of 150 AGL, the pilot encountered an invisible bullet thermal which pitched the nose up, causing the weak link to break. Upon the breakage of the weak link, the glider whip stalled and then tumbled twice. The pilot and glider's leading edge hit the ground simultaneously. The pilot was utilizing his own pro-tow style tow harness, this own high performance glider with VG on, and was not wearing a full face helmet.
Don't:
- fly into bullet thermals during launch which cause the weak link to break,
- utilize:
-- your own pro toad style tow harness
-- this own high performance glider with VG on
And if you do make sure you're wearing a full face helmet.

You'll be fine.
It is also hard for me to understand why anything posted in this forum in particular would have any legal consequence if you can always say that it was some non-official random BS posted by an anonymous user. I am not a lawyer though.
That's OK. Just trust u$hPa's and do everything he tells you to. You'll be fine.
Mark G. Forbes - 2015/03/31 03:10:32 UTC

I'm not either, so I rely on the advice I get from people who are.
Me too, Mark. Whenever anybody who has a law degree advises me to do something I do it without hesitation. Whenever I'm trying to decide what kind of fishing line I'd be happy with as the focal point of my safe towing system I think, "What would Tim Herr be happiest with?" And it always brings me back to tried and true 130 pound Greenspot.
Based on our past experience, comments in club forums and venues like this one can and will be cited in court. As an example, a comment as innocuous as "Let's all keep an eye out for each other out there" was used to argue that every pilot present at a launch site had a duty to prevent a launched-unhooked fatal accident.
OUTRAGEOUS! The tried and true Official u$hPa / Tim Herr strategy is that NOBODY present at launch has a duty to prevent a launched-unhooked fatal accident! Damned if I'm gonna bow to any of that nanny state bullshit. It's been established and well understood for decades that "self regulated" is one hundred percent "self" and zero percent "regulated".
The pilots at the site didn't know that the pilot in question was intent on launching; they thought he was just walking over to the ramp to line up first. And then he ran off the ramp;
Yeah...
Hang Gliding magazine - 2006/01

Joe Gregor:

The accident pilot spent some time under his glider while it was turned around. He then lifted it, turned 180 degrees to face the ramp, and was met by a side wire crew. At this point his team leader told the accident pilot, "Do a hang check." The wire crewman on the right side reported that, after subsequently setting the glider down, the accident pilot started adjusting his VG rope and talking to the crew about how to give him feedback.

The accident pilot picked up his glider and proceeded to the launch point. Several pilots present at the scene reported they checked his hang point and it looked like he was hooked in. Several pilots present at the scene reported that there were four or five other individuals who said, "Do a hang check," or "Have you done a hang check?" In no case was it reported that he responded directly.

Conditions were pronounced fine and the accident pilot cleared his launch. He launched using the grapevine grip and the glider dove as soon as he put weight on it.
Right.
...the glider flew away and he didn't.

And then we got sued.
By incompetent negligent total fucking morons who blew the opportunity of several lifetimes.
I ask because I've seen what's happened in the past. Things we post in public forums can have consequences, and I'm trying to give you some context so you understand what's at stake.
Yeah, we certainly can't afford to have a many ugly truths circulating out there, can we Mark.
Please consider that when posting.
Count on it - motherfucker.
2015/03/31 16:46:36 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Rich Jesuroga
Get fucked, Rich.
Dave Pendzick - 2015/03/31 15:29:51 UTC

I feel like you are thinking that us keeping quite is going to prevent a law suit in this matter. News flash brother, its coming wether you want it to or not & I dont think anything anyone says on this forum is going to make things any better or worse.
Probably not. But I'm gonna do everything in my power over here to help make it worse.
Davis Straub - 2015/03/31 15:49:09 UTC

I believe that the family has said no to a lawsuit.
Cool. Nuthin' to worry 'bout then - until some of the shock wears off a bit anyway.
Dave Pendzick - 2015/03/31 16:38:14 UTC

Lawyers are going to be calling them begging to take this thing to court. This is such an easy payday for them its unbelievable. They may have said they are not going to bring this to court, but as they enter the anger phase of the grieving process, $$$ with lots of zeros behind it is going to sound more & more logical.
Been awfully quiet over there since that post...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27736
Increase in our USHpA dues
Mark G. Forbes - 2012/12/20 06:21:33 UTC

We're re-working the accident reporting system, but again it's a matter of getting the reports submitted and having a volunteer willing to do the detail work necessary to get them posted. There are also numerous legal issues associated with accident reports, which we're still wrestling with. It's a trade-off between informing our members so they can avoid those kinds of accidents in the future, and exposing ourselves to even more lawsuits by giving plaintiff's attorneys more ammunition to shoot at us.

Imagine a report that concludes, "If we'd had a procedure "x" in place, then it would have probably prevented this accident. And we're going to put that procedure in place at the next BOD meeting." Good info, and what we want to be able to convey. But what comes out at trial is, "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, my client suffered injury because USHPA knew or should have known that a safety procedure was not in place, and was therefore negligent and at fault." We're constantly walking this line between full disclosure and handing out nooses at the hangmen's convention.
Whatchya think Mark? How many decades do you think you can keep running this Ponzi scheme?

Mark G. Forbes - 2011/09/29 02:26:23 UTC

We can establish rules which we think will improve pilot safety, but our attorney is right. USHPA is not in the business of keeping pilots "safe" and it can't be. Stepping into that morass is a recipe for extinction of our association. I wish it were not so, but it is. We don't sell equipment, we don't offer instruction, and we don't assure pilots that they'll be safe. Even so, we get sued periodically by people who say we "shoulda, coulda, woulda" done something that would have averted their accident.

It's not just concern for meet directors and policy makers...it's about our continued existence as an association. It's about minimizing the chance of our getting sued out of existence. We're one lawsuit away from that, all the time, and we think hard about it.
Hopefully this is it. And there's gotta be a video card that that no one was stupid enough to swallow this time.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41712
Oh jeez, in Las Vegas
Gregg Ludwig - 2015/03/28 23:02:12 UTC

The report shows Kelly Harrison, a well qualified pilot.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada/coroner-identifies-hang-gliding-accident-victims
Coroner identifies hang-gliding accident victims | Las Vegas Review-Journal
Gawd. Can you imagine how badly things might have turned out if Kelly HADN'T been a well qualified pilot? Pretty ugly I'm guessing.
Angelo Mantas - 2015/03/29 14:13:26 UTC

Still a lot of questions. Were they using a payout winch?
Yes.
If so, shouldn't it have continued paying out when the truck stopped and turned?
How can anybody answer that question without knowing stuff like relative headings, distances, tow angle, altitude, tension setting?
Why didn't the tow driver release the line from his end?
- Show me a platform rig that gives the driver the ability to release the line from his end.

- And, of course, we can take it for granted that in hang glider towing the hang glider "pilot" has virtually no chance to release the line from HIS end.
Harrison and Arys were in the air when the truck pulling the glider turned around abruptly, police said. The driver of the truck thought the tether had been released, as is usually done by the person in the glider...
He didn't check that the glider had released before heading back?
The glider wouldn't have been able to release at some point prior to the truck completing a 180?
Alan Deikman - 2015/03/29 15:29:53 UTC

There was no release at the hang glider end? What kind of tow is designed to have a hang glider aloft dragging a rope to the ground? Not one I'd fly.
How would you be with the stuff...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3107
I have a tandem rating!!!
Lauren Tjaden - 2008/03/23 22:20:15 UTC

When Jim got me locked out to the right, I couldn't keep the pitch of the glider with one hand for more than a second (the pressure was a zillion pounds, more or less), but the F'ing release slid around when I tried to hit it. The barrel release wouldn't work because we had too much pressure on it.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3391
More on Zapata and weak link
Paul Tjaden - 2008/07/22 04:32:22 UTC

I have never had a lockout situation happen so quickly and dramatically and had no chance to release as I have always thought I could do.
...Quest has spent twenty years perfecting to the point that Davis Dead-On Straub is happy with it?
Rolla Manning - 2015/03/29 17:26:08 UTC

http://www.facebook.com/groups/1547390368864388
Las Vegas Hang Gliding

One of the videos shows the tow setup when it's not in sim mode.
15-02619
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8731/16991517625_394458c959_o.png
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8755/16371420963_2fb0bb7c9b_o.png
23-03400
Angelo Mantas - 2015/03/29 17:27:37 UTC

The thought right now is that the glider release didn't work...
Always a reasonably safe bet in North American hang gliding.
...no one is suggesting there was no release on the glider end.
Plus there's always a weak link and hook knife for emergencies.
Jim Gaar - 2015/03/29 19:23:02 UTC

Payout winches may come to a stop in a normal towing situation.
Yeah, just about any shit can happen in hang glider towing and the situation is still considered normal unless someone is killed.
They can lock out a wing just like in aerotow. A observer or very experienced driver must always be OBSERVING in case of an issue, like a wing NOT releasing...
Yes, only a VERY EXPERIENCED driver can handle these situations - preferably a tug pilot such as yourself. Certainly never a CONVICTED PAEDOPHILE - like T** at K*** S******.
"Was there a hookknife?" would be one question.
"Sheathed within easy reach on the tandem instructor's harness" would be one answer.
This stuff really breaks my heart. :cry:
I'm sure it does. :cry: Especially after the massive efforts you've made to increase the safety of hang glider towing. :cry:

Go fuck yourself, Rodie.
Scot Trueblood - 2015/03/30 13:30:24 UTC

Payout Towing Accident

The question which seems most relevant to me is : How much tow line did they have in the air? A stuck release is easy to deal with at high altitude and high angle above the tow vehicle. On 3 different occasions, I have actually let go of the bar completely to get both hands on the release and manually pull it free.
If that happens two or three more times I'd start thinking about using a release that I didn't have to actually let go of the bar completely to get both hands on it and manually pull it free. Either that or carry a hook knife within easier reach and/or a safer weak link.
However, in the early stages of the tow, a lockout (which I have never even come close to in a tandem glider) combined with a stuck release could be catastrophic.
Ya think?
But why wold the weak link not fail?
Probably one of those Tad-O-Links that many of us suddenly became happy with shortly after the Zack Marzec fatality.
Maybe too strong of a weak link.
Yeah, ya really need one that breaks when it's supposed to - 'specially on a payout winch.
At the end of a tow, we always turn our boat back toward the origin to come back under the glider and assure a better angle for recovery of the towline.
I do hope that Kelly's driver recovered the towline OK.
The only time a pilot on our system failed to release at the proper time resulted in me simply free-wheeling the drum to allow line to be pulled back out. Fortunately, the pilot, who I won't name but begins with a "Z", realized that it was time to pull the release and it was uneventful.

A lot of...
...deliberately and conspicuously...
...unanswered questions here, and sadly we are left with the tragedy of 2 lives lost.
Perp and victim.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41697
Two Dead on Hang Glider
Jonathan Boarini - 2015/03/28 16:52:39 UTC

Adding to the confusion is the fact that most people at large and in the media don't use the right terminology or have the understanding of the different types of wings, towing vs. powered flight, hang glider vs. paraglider, etc.
They don't understand that in hang gliding the towline transmits pressure to the glider through its bridal, that a bridle which distributes the pressure between the pilot and glider is a three point, that a weak link functions as our only safe and reliable emergency release, and that a whipstall resulting from a weak link increasing the safety of the towing operation is an inconvenience that invariably terminates before the glider hits the runway.
It's hard from reading the news reports trying to understand what happened.
Yeah, you'd think the driver would wanna step forward and clarify things for us a bit - but I'm guessing he doesn't wanna engage in speculation at this early point in the investigation.
Bille Floyd - 2015/03/28 19:53:16 UTC

Anyone know John Kelly Harrison, 55, of Hawaii ?
Yeah, really great guy, tops in his profession, died doing what he loved.
So here is a question :
If the US Coast Guard requires a second person in the boat as a look-out , to legally tow a water skier ; then how come a second person isn't required in the tow vehicle for HG and PG operations ?
So here's another question:
If the US Federal Aviation Administration DOESN'T require a second person in the truck or tug as a lookout to legally tow a sailplane then how come a second person SHOULD be required in the tow vehicle for HG and PG operations?
Graeme Henderson - 2015/03/28 22:51:47 UTC

It's a good question Bille,
Yeah, Bille can always be counted on to come up with the best ones. Lotsa towing experience in Nevada's dry lakebeds.

http://ozreport.com/forum/files/copy_2_of_imgp1239_197.jpg
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7220/13949046702_ccfa0fafab_o.png
http://www.thekiteboarder.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/opener-532x800.jpg
I have been waiting to hear what the observer was doing during this crash.
I've been waiting to hear why he WASN'T using a release within easy reach and WAS using a Tad-O-Link.
So far I have seen no mention, but it is early days and we are relying on the news media and the news media doesn't really know what its talking about so as yet it does not make sense.
And the local glider people have all shut up like clams. Four and a half days now.
Once they start getting information from knowledgeable eyewitnesses and the authorities we will know with more certainty.
Yeah, just like we did after the Terry Mason and Zack Marzec fatalities.
The way it is being reported is certainly concerning.
I will be surprised if they were towing without one because I thought observers were required and essential and mandatory and compulsory or something like that.
You were wrong or mistaken or something like that.
My sympathies go to all involved.
Thanks Graeme. You can go stick your head back up your ass now.
Bille Floyd - 2015/03/29 21:31:48 UTC

Something definitely Needs to be done, about this lackadaisical attitude, when Towing !!!!!!
Yeah Bille...

http://www.thekiteboarder.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/opener-532x800.jpg

You'd certainly be the one to be advising us all on towing safety.
But you guys would rather talk about Bob-K ;
- With the Bob-K issue at least we're getting solid information from one side of the conflict.
- You don't think these are totally related issues?
Doug Hildreth - 1991/06

Pilot with some tow experience was towing on a new glider which was a little small for him. Good launch, but at about fifty feet the glider nosed up, stalled, and the pilot released by letting go of the basetube with right hand. Glider did a wingover to the left and crashed into a field next to the tow road. Amazingly, there were minimal injuries.

Comment: This scenario has been reported numerous times. Obviously, the primary problem is the lack of pilot skill and experience in avoiding low-level, post-launch, nose-high stalls. The emphasis by countless reporters that the pilot lets go of the glider with his right hand to activate the release seems to indicate that we need a better hands-on way to release.

I know, I know, "If they would just do it right. Our current system is really okay." I'm just telling you what's going on in the real world. They are not doing it right and it's up to us to fix the problem. Think about it.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27736
Increase in our USHpA dues
Mark G. Forbes - 2012/12/20 06:21:33 UTC

We're re-working the accident reporting system, but again it's a matter of getting the reports submitted and having a volunteer willing to do the detail work necessary to get them posted. There are also numerous legal issues associated with accident reports, which we're still wrestling with. It's a trade-off between informing our members so they can avoid those kinds of accidents in the future, and exposing ourselves to even more lawsuits by giving plaintiff's attorneys more ammunition to shoot at us.

Imagine a report that concludes, "If we'd had a procedure "x" in place, then it would have probably prevented this accident. And we're going to put that procedure in place at the next BOD meeting." Good info, and what we want to be able to convey. But what comes out at trial is, "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, my client suffered injury because USHPA knew or should have known that a safety procedure was not in place, and was therefore negligent and at fault." We're constantly walking this line between full disclosure and handing out nooses at the hangmen's convention.
Who's ultimately responsible for that kid's violent death?
fricken Sick and discouraging . :(
Asshole.
Jeff Chipman - 2015/03/30 19:00:46 UTC
Sylmar

Wondering if the driver or the observer (if there was one) was the boys father.
The boy's father wasn't even there.
Might possibly explain why the lack of protocol.
What protocol? Show me something in the u$hPa SOPs that was violated.

Think there's a chance we can get some input from...
John Kelly Harrison - 55 - Nevada - 53375 - H5 - 1996/10/23 - Joe Greblo - PL TFL TPL AWCL CL FSL RLF TUR XC - ADV INST, TAND INST
...Joe Greblo on this one? Or is he still much too grief stricken to weigh in at this point?

P.S. Good thing we jumped on this one when we did...
Search Results -- 0 members found
No Results, please try your search again.
Doesn't take the national organization long to get the shredder fired up nowadays.