landing

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: landing

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=18777
Accident - Broken Jaw - Full Face HG Helmet
Ryan Voight - 2010/08/29 00:08:58 UTC

Safest bet is to assume no one else is going to submit one, and just take the two secs to do it yourself. The office is trained to combine multiple reports on the same accident (although getting ONE report is rare enough!)
So when you see the data trends indicated by these reports in the magazine...
Doug Hildreth - 1981/04

Just before the first step of your launch run, lift the glider and make certain that the straps become tight when you do so.
Doug Hildreth - 1991/06

Pilot with some tow experience was towing on a new glider which was a little small for him. Good launch, but at about fifty feet the glider nosed up, stalled, and the pilot released by letting go of the basetube with right hand. Glider did a wingover to the left and crashed into a field next to the tow road. Amazingly, there were minimal injuries.

Comment: This scenario has been reported numerous times. Obviously, the primary problem is the lack of pilot skill and experience in avoiding low-level, post-launch, nose-high stalls. The emphasis by countless reporters that the pilot lets go of the glider with his right hand to activate the release seems to indicate that we need a better hands-on way to release.

I know, I know, "If they would just do it right. Our current system is really okay." I'm just telling you what's going on in the real world. They are not doing it right and it's up to us to fix the problem.
...just what is it that you - as a USHGA Director and Instructor - do with them?

Fuck you, Ryan.
Harold Wickham - 2010/08/29 00:20:06 UTC
Las Vegas

EXCELLENT Thread
Really makes you think... Thinking is good (I Think)...
On The Jack Show? It's a banning offense.
I use a Bell FF BMX helmet... They are light weight and durable... BUT by no means perfect... I've seen one crack almost in half... But the bike rider survived with minor head injury...
And maybe the bike rider survived with minor head injury BECAUSE it cracked almost in half. Kinda like a weak link - it fails before the head it's protecting does.
I crashed once with the cheap little half bicycle helmet... wasn't much protection, I received a concussion (could have been a lot worse)... The next day I ordered the full face... I wear it but honestly hope I never need it...
Jason Rogers - 2010/08/29 03:22:56 UTC

I've seen a bunch of replies about how such and such brand of full face helmet was being worn by so and so pilot. Common to all these stories seems to be they stalled, crashed, and were injured. How all "pilots make mistakes". In other threads we hear about "flare timing" as though flaring was something that you had to "time" or count out by the numbers rather than just flying the glider.

(How often do you hear about people "timing" opening a door or "timing" getting into bed or "timing" putting on a jumper? Never, because people judge all those things based on propreoception/kinesthesia.)
How often do you hear about people from conventional aviation discussing "timing" - and beaking?
The only exception to this "stall, crash, injury" seemed to be on another thread, pilot flying full face helmet, puts glider again and again into massive slips, so bad that surely he must have known, till glider falls apart in mid air and he's killed.

I get to watch videos like the recently posted one "Fatal hang gliding accident from Barberton, South Africa." with a pilot wearing a full face helmet who appeared to have no idea that the glider was flying dangerously slow. I don't enjoy watching those videos. I would rather that people stopped stalling and crashing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-OqFjcctRU

That's a pretty good video of my short 1988/07/02 flight from the old Woodstock launch. Plowed back into the trees, fell on the rocks, was just very badly bruised but immobilized and needed to be stretchered off the mountain.
What I'm not seeing is any stories about how Joe pilot was wearing an open face helmet with his ears uncovered and he stalled and crashed. Instead I see things like Zippy's bio flick or AP's vids where pilots with their ears uncovered perform difficult landings and stick them no step and apparently as easily as someone opening a door or putting on a jumper. These videos I enjoy watching. I want to see more of them.

No I don't think that having your ears uncovered makes it certain you will never crash. I crashed (one minute into my flying career) with my ears uncovered. So I do know it's possible.

You could have a medical condition (like a heart attack or a dislocated shoulder) that causes you to crash. However I'm completely sure that flying with your ears uncovered gives you a better, instinctive feel for the airspeed that you're flying at, and I'm also sure that makes flying safer.
I'm not. I get all the wind noise I need with full face helmet and Cessnas and DC-10s seem to land just fine without needing to open any windows.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Robert Seckold - 2010/08/29 03:51:34 UTC

I hear what you are saying Jason, but oh if it was as simple as having your ears free to have a flare as easy as opening a door. The maneuvers you see Zippy and AP doing are due to hundreds and hundreds of hours practice more than having your ears free.
Anything that requires hundreds and hundreds of hours practice is totally useless as far as keeping people safe in this game.
For example myself at Stanwell I now land with my visor down on my full face helmet. I do have ear holes and can hear the wind. My first hundred or so landings were also with a full face helmet although without a visor, which should give me more indication of wind and, to be honest, they were shit.

I am just about to clock up my five hundredth landing with the last three to four hundred landings without even the base bar touching the ground. Yes, I know they are coastal landings, although some pilots still seem to stuff them up, for me it more than anything comes through practice, practice, practice and getting your technique right, more than hearing the wind.
Again... There is NOTHING in this sport which requires practice, practice, practice, and getting your technique right that's of any use in keeping ANYONE safe. If something is that difficult and critical it won't work when a little turbulence and/or...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=25536
Whoops! Snapped another tip wand :-O
NMERider - 2012/03/14 15:17:14 UTC

His one-technique-fits-all attitude espoused on the Oz Report Forum has become tiresome to read. It does not work in the fucked-up world of XC landings and weary pilots.
...a few human elements are thrown into the equation.
Paul Hurless - 2010/08/29 04:12:26 UTC

Somehow you're confusing wearing a full face helmet with not being able to hear. That's not the case. Besides, for many years you never saw anyone wearing a full face helmet and the same type of incidents occurred and more pilots died then than they do now. Don't blame a full face helmet for poor piloting skills.
And also don't blame poor piloting skills when you're forcing people...
Gil Dodgen - 1995/01

All of this reminds me of a comment Mike Meier made when he was learning to fly sailplanes. He mentioned how easy it was to land a sailplane (with spoilers for glide-path control and wheels), and then said, "If other aircraft were as difficult to land as hang gliders no one would fly them."
...to use stupid, unnecessary, dangerous, and impossibly difficult techniques for landing.
fly,surf,&ski - 2010/08/29 05:40:55 UTC

In my opinion you can't compare those guys to regular pilots...

I hate wheels but I have a full face helmet. :mrgreen:
Yeah. If you don't use wheels you're probably gonna NEED a full face helmet.
IMO wheels are good for newer pilots and pilots that fly too much glider.
And people like Allen who started flying in 1976 when he's flying a Falcon and gets a wee bit behind his glider and a wee bit late on his flare timing. Probably most other humans as well.
Oscar - 2010/08/30 17:40:24 UTC

I use all my senses when I fly especially that sixth sense. You can land a glider with a FF helmet visor down wearing ear plugs. You need to use your sense of touch (light grip) the glider will tell you when to flare. I find it more reliable than hearing. At AJX there are some deaf pilots that land consistently well.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Steve Seibel - 2010/08/30 18:12:24 UTC

helmet / safety

Ryan, I have to disagree with your approach - it seems to me that an accident is a totally appropriate context for taking a hard, cold look at how well our protective gear works, AND how pilot skills/judgement could be improved. I don't agree with any suggestions that pursuing one line of thought automatically negates the other. Or that either train of thought automatically results in a "can't happen to me" kind of attitude - but if anyone is thinking "can't happen to me" I would think it would be the guy who is totally convinced his lightweight helmet is totally adequate.

The main reason I read these kinds of threads is I'm interested in the facts, to the extent that they are known. How much extra protection will X extra ounces of helmet give me? To what extent does too strong actually compromise protection (i.e. should the jaw protector act like a crumple zone or should it be as strong as possible?)

What anyone chooses to do with this information is up to them...
Hey Steve...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22660
What can be learned from this "scooter" towing accident?
Steve Seibel - 2011/01/31 20:06:51 UTC

I've experienced a lockout during AT where the load on the glider (and me) got pretty extreme. So much so that it was physically difficult to raise my arm toward the bicycle release handle (mounted low on the down tube, just above my vario) for the keel spinnaker shackle. I mean I could do it but I was noticeably slowed down by some split seconds, all while the lockout got rapidly more severe. Scared the crap out of me. Never imagined I would have difficulty reaching the release handle in an emergency. Thought I was the cause of the release but actually the weak link finally broke, must have been just as I touched the handle. I would never intentionally put that kind of load on my poor glider!

So-- why don't we put the bicycle release on the base bar, where we can keep our fingertips on or near it?
Why don't you get your shit together on releases and weak links, the brain dead easy black and white stuff that has to do with keeping the glider under control, before you start talking about the best equipment to use for a crash - and getting into a discussion in which there's little more than shit in the way of right answers.
Steve Seibel - 2010/08/30 18:22:01 UTC

more helmets

Gee, even my full face motorcycle helmet gave me plenty of wind noise even without ear holes - but anyone who feels ear holes are important can just get out the drill and go to town...
I did just the opposite - glued rubber patches over those stupid holes in my Uvex.
...and sorry but some gliders don't give great clues as to the exact moment to flare, most of us understand that there is indeed a timing issue involved!
IF you're more interested in flaring them than you are landing them.
Personally I think that the typical full-face hang glider / paraglider helmets with ear holes are a bare minimum (if that) for adequate protective gear, and offer plenty of hearing / peripheral vision, and the suggestion that they are causing crashes seems pretty ridiculous to me. I've flown with them, and with half-shell helmets, and with full face motorcycle helmets.

But - we are all free to wear whatever helmet we want, it's great isn't it...
I'm not a big fan of giving glider drivers a lot of choices. They almost always go for the worst possible and immediately and fervently start imposing them on everyone else.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Bob Kuczewski - 2012/01/17 19:31:28 UTC

I believe pitch authority is greater on the base tube, but roll authority is much quicker and more authoritative when upright. No doubt about it.
And meanwhile, out in the REAL world...

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1163
Flight Log (all flying-related activities welcome)
Bill Cummings - 2012/11/07 00:04:59 UTC

Just as I went vertical to go to the down tubes for landing a thermal broke loose and I had to go prone again to gain control!
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27079
Do Aerobatic Pilots Really Land Better?
NMERider - 2012/09/08 00:02:53 UTC

Well Cry'n Ryan got me to thinking about this supposed correlation between aerobatics and landing prowess with this comment:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27069
Guess what boys and girls, I'm joining the T2 club !!!
Ryan Voight - 2012/09/07 13:56:20 UTC

If you can't land well enough to not be busting DT's... should you really be doing aero? They use all the same skills- airspeed and energy management, feel and timing, smooth and precise inputs...

All the best aero pilots I've ever met, have near-flawless landings. Probably not a coincidence...
The jury is still out AFAIC, so I wonder what do you all think?

Should aerobatics be taught as part of the H-3 curriculum to help everyone land better? I look forward to a lively discussion.
Jason Boehm - 2012/09/08 16:34:51 UTC

aerobatics is about precision...and so is landing

a pilot that focuses on precision will naturally start to excel at both...and by excel i don't necessarily mean looping...but doing safe maneuvers. I know very good pilots that just have a thing against going upside down...but will hit 90degrees regularly and precisely...and are comfortable throughout the speed and pitch range

i also know pilots that have no qualms getting inverted...but aren't precise and land poorly
STANDUP landings are dangerous stunt landings that require precision.
Sane / Conventional aircraft landings don't require much more precision than does flying efficiently at altitude.
Aerobatic pilots don't perform aerobatics in thermal or turbulent conditions.
Tow and XC pilots perform damn near all their landings in thermal conditions and a lot of other landings are performed in surface generated mechanical turbulence.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=26847
Landing Out
NMERider - 2012/08/10 17:09:10 UTC

Be glad you don't fly XC where I do. It really sucks here in the LA Basin and I'm tired of all the hazards.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=25536
Whoops! Snapped another tip wand :-O
NMERider - 2012/03/14 15:17:14 UTC

His one-technique-fits-all attitude espoused on the Oz Report Forum has become tiresome to read. It does not work in the fucked-up world of XC landings and weary pilots.

I refuse to come in with both hands on the downtubes ever again. I have had some very powerful thermals and gusts kick off and lost control of the glider due to hands on the downtubes. I prefer both hands on the control bar all the way until trim and ground effect. I have been lifted right off the deck in the desert and carried over 150 yards.
Thermal conditions can and do throw all efforts at precision straight to hell.
If you want consistent, controlled, maximum safety margin, all conditions, fun landings...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27415
Friday the 19th with Hawks & Friends!
NMERider - 2012/10/24 21:47:05 UTC

I have to say that landing on the wheels is so much fun it's not funny.
...there's a way to do them.
miguel

Post by miguel »

Tad wrote:STANDUP landings are landings that require precision.
Fixed it for you, Tad.
Tad wrote:Sane / Conventional aircraft landings don't require much more precision than does flying efficiently at altitude.
Really?
The B-26 had high take-off and landing speeds due to the high wing loads of the aircraft. This resulted in several training accidents with pilots at MacDill Field, where training pilots nicknamed the plane "the widow maker." In response to these early problems, several steps were taken, including a number of design improvements.
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/100years/programs/b-26-marauder.html

The prudent pilot will develop foot landing skills along with his flying skills so that he can foot land safely. It's not rocket science, it just takes dedicated practice.

Just ask Ryan :mrgreen:
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Really?
Yeah. As a matter o' fact...
Dennis Pagen - 1994/01

At top speed I let the glider lift and then let go when I detected the problem. I tumbled down the hill and torqued my foot, which left me gimpy for a week. My glider went on to fly nicely and land perfectly in the middle of a pond.
miguel - 2011/07/29 16:54:33 UTC

The pilot rolled down the hill unhurt and the glider made perfect passes along the ridge. The glider made a perfect wheel landing on the side of the ridge.
http://forum.rmhpa.org/t/hook-in/1339/4
HOOK IN
Jim Yocom - 2010/05/05 21:55
Golden, Colorado

I immediately shoved the glider forward into the air, which put me square on my rear halfway down launch. I sat watching my Wills Wing Ram Air fly away from the hill and make a gentle turn to the left. I was relieved it turned away from the houses below where it might hit someone. The glider continued to turn, making two complete 360s, gaining about fifty feet. Once over launch, it straightened out disappearing over the back. Several PG pilots and I ran back to find the glider upright in a bush with nary a scratch.
Lotsa times times a glider which has left its hang checker behind will belly in with a lot less damage than it might have sustained with somebody at the controls and the flare timing a little off one way or the other.
The B-26 had high take-off and landing speeds due to the high wing loads of the aircraft.
In other words, pretty much the polar opposite of hang gliders.
This resulted in several training accidents with pilots at MacDill Field, where training pilots nicknamed the plane "the widow maker."
Kinda like...
Gil Dodgen - 1995/01

All of this reminds me of a comment Mike Meier made when he was learning to fly sailplanes. He mentioned how easy it was to land a sailplane (with spoilers for glide-path control and wheels), and then said, "If other aircraft were as difficult to land as hang gliders no one would fly them."
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=22176
Paragliding Collapses
Jim Rooney - 2011/06/12 13:57:58 UTC

Most common HG injury... spiral fracture of the humerus.
...a foot landed hang glider?
In response to these early problems, several steps were taken, including a number of design improvements.
Like...

7:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72SJu09S-Y0

8-71716-C
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7369/13962618245_163eb65caa_o.png
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2920/13939515566_f9b68a2595_o.png
9-72800-C

...putting wheels on the basetube and skid plates on the harness?
The prudent pilot will develop foot landing skills along with his flying skills so that he can foot land safely.
The prudent pilot...
Christian Thoreson - 2004/10

Thus wheel landings, the safest and easiest way to consistently land a hang glider...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjsp0mH7m0Y

...will use the easiest, most consistent, safest technique and will never put himself in a situation in which his safety is dependent on foot landing skills.

THESE:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=26854
Skids versus wheels
Andrew Stakhov - 2012/08/11 13:52:35 UTC

So I just came back from flying in Austria (awesome place btw). Stark difference I noticed is a large chunk of pilots choose to fly with skids instead of wheels. Conversations I had with pilots they say they actually work better in certain situations as they don't get plugged up like smaller wheels. Even larger heavier Atosses were all flying with skids. I was curious why they consistently chose to land on skids on those expensive machines and they were saying that it's just not worth the risk of a mistimed flare or wing hitting the ground... And those are all carbon frames etc.
...are prudent pilots.
It's not rocket science...
No, it's more like Russian roulette.
...it just takes dedicated practice.
1. When we have people dedicate practice to stunt landings they break lotsa downtubes and a good many...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYe3YmdIQTM

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=17092
Crash at Questair
Shannon Moon - 2010/05/28 12:31:35 UTC

This is my write-up of my hang gliding accident on 2010/05/09 at Quest Air in Groveland, Florida during an attempted foot landing which resulted in shattered arms, bilateral humerus fractures, and radial nerve trauma. I could not write this up before now as I am just getting enough motor control in my right hand to type very slowly.
Larry West - 2012/12/12 14:04:46 UTC

Bryan never came back to un-powered foot launching.
Zack C - 2011/05/05 03:13:27 UTC

Don't worry, I have no plans to quit, although another serious accident might do it.
...arms and we lose them from the sport forever.

2. Ever hear about ANYTHING else in hang gliding that takes "dedicated practice"? Flat slope, assisted windy cliff, aerotow launches; thermal flying; aerobatics; restricted landing field approaches?

We hear ENDLESSLY about how foot landings require "dedicated practice" and we see untold MOUNTAINS of evidence that people can't do them and are getting crashed, injured, crippled, and killed ONLY because they're dedicating foot landing practice to delude themselves into thinking that they'll be able to consistently and safely land in narrow dry riverbeds with large rocks strewn all over the place and fields filled with seven foot high corn.

If something requires "dedicated practice" you can bet your bottom dollar that people in general won't EVER be able to pull it off consistently.
And I didn't get into this sport to dedicate practice to fucking foot landings. I got into it to fly like a bird. My first flight ever I wheel landed just fine, had huge safety margins, and got extra airtime out of the deal. And if I had stayed with my instincts instead of listening to my idiot instructors and this idiot culture I could've spared myself untold scores of bonks and dozens of downtubes.

Likewise I didn't get into aerotowing so I could perfect my standard aerotow weak link failure recovery skills and play 130 pound Greenspot roulette. I got into it so I could get up and go FLYING.
Just ask Ryan :mrgreen:
Yeah...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27217
Bad Launch!
NMERider - 2012/09/25 07:01:39 UTC
Why would CSS want that when his last landing clinic resulted in a broken arm to one of his students? Image
Fuck Ryan and his dedication to foot landing practice.

P.S. Still waiting to see a video of someone coming down on something that isn't wheel landable.
miguel

Post by miguel »

There are fields of yellow star thistle and cockleburrs around here.

http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50219156812_b336d31d46_o.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9cFrChlHHHU/Tzlr_5IGQMI/AAAAAAAABSo/Xlb5rQ1d8AM/s1600/gd33.jpg

Foot landing in one of these fields is bad enough. Star thistle can go through clothes and thin shoes.

I sure would not want to go face first through one of these fields.

But then maybe you are made of sterner stuff than I. :D
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

There are fields of yellow star thistle and cockleburrs around here.
1. There are fields of Multiflora Rose around here. Best not to land in them.
2. Got any pictures or videos of anyone actually landing in fields of Yellow Star Thistle and Cocklebur?
Foot landing in one of these fields is bad enough.
There are HUGE numbers of foot landings that evolve into...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-36aQ3Hg33c

...faceplants.
Star thistle can go through clothes and thin shoes.
The force of an abruptly stopping glider can go through the control frame to a hand or two on a downtube or two and break an arm or two.
I sure would not want to go face first through one of these fields.
How does face first work for you in one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuMxK9PadzA

17-4117
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3682/14088396670_62d49cbf36_o.png
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2932/14295179433_313938b3f9_o.png
23-4810

fields?

If you watch the videos it shouldn't really take that long to figure out that the person who tries to land feet first is about a thousand times more likely to plow a furrow with his face than the person who lands with his head in the lead.
But then maybe you are made of sterner stuff than I.
Nah, I'm a total wimp and coward. That's why I...
- always:
-- do a preflight sidewire load test before moving to launch
-- verify my connection and leg loops within two seconds of every foot launch
-- use weak links which allow virtually no chance of dumping me back on the runway
- won't tow behind shitheads like Mike Robertson, Rooney, and Sam
- design, build, and fly with release equipment which maximizes my odds of surviving a low level lockout
- won't land in narrow dry riverbeds with large rocks strewn all over the place
- always:
-- land in the Happy Acres putting green
-- use as much of the beginning of the runway as possible
-- ignore the traffic cone some dickhead has put in the center of the field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Gd2kcyOes

http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7094/13952342741_f71f343877_o.png
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7151/13952329131_03e535bc8b_o.png

-- leave both hands on the CONTROL bar until the glider has rolled to a complete stop
Zack C - 2010/12/13 04:58:15 UTC

I had a very different mindset too back then and trusted the people that made my equipment. Since then I've realized (largely due to this discussion) that while I can certainly consider the advice of others, I can't trust anyone in this sport but myself (and maybe the people at Wills Wing).
- never trust anyone in hang gliding
- trust myself ONLY when absolutely necessary and after all other avenues have been exhausted
miguel

Post by miguel »

Tad wrote:P.S. Still waiting to see a video of someone coming down on something that isn't wheel landable.
Tad wrote:2. Got any pictures or videos of anyone actually landing in fields of Yellow Star Thistle and Cocklebur?
I think we have a re-occuring theme!

OK, let us think this one out.

Got your thinking cap on?

Excellent!

Where are most of the cameras located that take the landing pics?

Did you guess the lz?

We knew you could!

Let us explore this idea a little further.

Why would anyone with a video camera, hang out in a star thistle field or a landing area where wheels will not roll, waiting to take a picture?

Explain this one to me. I am thinking that maybe this is an east coast phenomina

At McClure most all of the videos are taken in the lz, near the beer. You never see the landings in the upper lz or lakebed. You never see landings, in Coulterville, or any of the landable areas on the way to Yosemite, Mariposa, Fresno or Sonora.

Many of those landing areas are not wheel landable.

There are no leprechauns hiding in those fields waiting to take pictures or videos. Jonathan with his Super Duper XCVision camera does not fly here. Most of the XC pilots are not Youtube stars.

But just for you, I will put in a word with the leprechauns and ask them to take a pic of the next hang glider that lands in one of the glens.